Saturday, February 05, 2005

 

So, this is my intro post, to which...

...you'll be able to refer as soon as I get a link up to it.   You'll notice there are no titles. That may change as I go but, for now, I am imagining tables in untitled posts, a continuance of movie data input with an alpha index to the right, in case you want to see if we own (or want to own) your favorite and what we think of it.
  MY PLAN: Is to include the name of the movie which will be a link to an appropriate information site, whether each of us have watched it (I, of course, have watched all of them), what we thought and/or links to where the movie has been mentioned in The Mom & Me Journals. Pretty ambitious, I know. We'll see how it goes.
  As it stands, I just finished finding interesting links to all the dvds. A representative number of those links are to IMDB pages, but many are not. In some cases I linked directly to a site set up for the sole purpose of promoting the movie. In two cases, one of which is Unforgiven, maybe three, I linked to the movie script online! In two cases, most notably all Peter Weir's movies, I linked to a fan site I've enjoyed. I was surprised. Some movies I thought would have obvious cult sites had none. Others I didn't think would, like The Last Wave have loads of sites devoted to them.
  Shortly after I launch this post and clean up a little around here [i.e., getting rid of test posts, etc.] I will announce it at the main journal site and add it to link sections as I remember.
  It may be a couple of days before the continuing list of dvds begins to appear, and I expect it will grow slowly. I just finished searching out mentionings of the movies we own. I was more surprised at how many I haven't mentioned in my journals than how many I have. Of course, I haven't yet searched The Archive. Who knows what I mentioned in that part of this journal!
  We had a spontaneous Kung Fu fest today. The first season arrived. As usual, despite our many combined years of watching this show and it's various permutations, neither of us had ever seen the pilot. That got us started. We noticed a variety of, hmmm...I guess you could call them "things" as we watched the show and kept in mind that this show debuted in the mid 1970's. The use of music, first of all, is incredibly subdued compared to today's standards. A majority of the program time does not involve music, particularly during conversation. When music is used it is used sparingly and is good at "enhancing the mood". Violence, as well, is portrayed in a strikingly different manner. You almost never see actual contact, although you see battle wounds. As well, most of any particular episode is not devoted to physical fighting.
  So, now, this post is a reference in my soon to debut personal movie database. Expect the first rudimentary table to be up in a couple of days.
Added 02/05/05 @ 1649:   So, I've finished cataloguing all mentions that apply to the movies in question. Sex and the City has the highest number of mentionings at ten and Deep Space 9 places second with nine. The next highest number of catalogued mentionings, I think, is The Ten Commandments with four. There were a sprinkling with three. Many had only one. Most had none, which surprised me. I thought I mentioned movies and TV shows more than I apparently do.
  I'm going to wait awhile to search The Archive. I will, however, be setting up the table, soon, and beginning to make entries, probably alphabetically, for most of the collection. The Alpha Index to the left will expand accordingly.
  I'm not sure what I'll learn from doing this, and I certainly can't imagine much internet interest in it, but I am intrigued by the process and what meditations it will hold about my mother...and me...and mymotherandme.
Added 02/05/05 @ 2330:   It appears that for some CSS reason I cannot yet fathom, this particular template is not taking tables very well. That's fine. I'll devise another linear way to set up the catalog without tables. And, yes, as the movies are added to the index they will be linked to their corresponding catalogued entry.
Added 02/07/05 @ 0950:   I should mention, "M", in the "Who's Watched" category, is "Mom" and "G" is "Gail".
  Also, for the next few days there will be occasional "audio-visual links" that will go nowhere, until I get the entire collection of dvds up. Please be patient.
Added 02/08/05 @ 0057:   I had so much fun doing this that I decided to stick with it as long as it didn't distract me from other stuff. It didn't. So, all the dvds that we own up to this moment are catalogued. Others, I'm sure will be added.
  I'm noticing almost no visitors. Oh well. It's been unusually interesting for me.
Added 02/09/05 @ 0207:   I took a little time out to search The Archive, gleaned the few movie mentions that existed there and added them to the few owned movies to which they apply.
Added 02/09/05 @ 0207:   I will, by the way, be updating the "Mentions" sections of the movies in the catalog as they are mentioned in future posts.
Added 03/18/21 @ 1401:   I happened to notice, as I was adding movies, today, that I did not follow strict alphabetization rules as I organized my Alpha Index. The one curiosity is that, instead of alphabetizing "Mr." and "Mrs." as they are classically spelled, "Mister" and "Missus", I alphabetized them considering the "r" and the "rs" as the letters immediately after the "M". I did this on purpose, I recall, because that is how the movies are named. Should I ever, for instance, acquire a copy of either "Mister Roberts" films (and, frankly, I doubt that I will), they will be alphabetized as they are spelled.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?